Friday 22 June 2007

Snatched time and growling playgrounds


It was back to my beloved trees today - Australian ones this time, rather than Canadian. Having worked extra hours yesterday, I unexpectedly had free time this afternoon. There's something delightful about snatched time - freedom when you weren't expecting it - that makes you walk tall and breathe deep. Bliss! My walk took me to the depths of Flat Rock Creek, scrambling over rocks to reach the bottom of the gully. At one point I veered off the path, through the undergrowth, to reach a spot of dappled sunlight I hoped would photograph well. Suddenly, I remembered this was Aussie undergrowth I was invading, and that most of the creatures in it could probably kill me. I still took my photo, but didn't hang around for too long afterwards...

On my way back from the creek, I explored a delightful children's park. It had slides built into the rocks, mini roadways and bridges, a water pump to create your own creek and rocks carved into the shapes of jungle animals, which growled as you passed them. How cool is that! It made me want to borrow someone's toddler so that I had an excuse to do it all again. In a field next to the park, there was a large wading bird digging for its afternoon tea. (It was wading in the grass, not the water.) It had a white body, black tail, and a small black head with extremely long, curved bill for filleting out tasty morsels. I've no idea what it was - maybe the twitcher I met in New York could tell me. At the same time, two red and green parrots were circling and squawking overhead. Not a sight I see regularly in Surbiton!

Which reminds me - two days ago, while walking back from the station, I followed a possum along the pavement. I think he'd just got off the 17.54 to Parramatta. This is a great country!

No comments: