Thursday 21 June 2007

Pure joy


Stop for a moment, and ask yourself when you last felt joyful? Where and when - and what were you rejoicing in?

Since I'm in the land of Oz, my mind inevitably goes back four years to a wonderful day snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef. I'd never snorkelled before. Never seen a reef. Never been face to face with such amphibious marvels. Never worn a lycra bodysuit before, either!! Apart from the lycra, the experience was wonderful, inspirational, enthralling, and has a special place in my memory. It was pure joy.

But I was ill at the time. Became more so later. And ended up in a psychiatrist's chair trying to establish just how deep my depression had become. When he asked me, that wonderful visit to the reef was the only happy memory I could think of during the whole of the previous year.

A subsequent training series on the Sovereignty of God meant wrestling deeply with my understanding of my illness. When things go pear-shaped, it's easy to doubt either God's sovereignty, or His goodness. But the Bible clearly shows that God is both good and in charge. So I ended up understanding that my illness was God's loving gift to me, and that He had brought it into my life because He knew it was the best way to help me to grow, and become more like Jesus.

What does all this have to do with joy? I heard a cracking sermon on Sunday (thanks Graham) from James 1. Verses 2-4 say this: 'Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence. Perseverence must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.' I find that both encouraging and challenging. God works in us, through many kinds of trials, to bring us to maturity. We're in good hands! But what does it mean to 'consider it pure joy'? Is it a choice to view things in a particular way? Is it an action - a way of responding? Is it an emotional response? These are things I'm still pondering on...

No comments: