Tuesday 19 June 2007

A limey down under


Greetings from Down Under - where we're about to be lashed with gale-force winds. Anyone who thinks Australia is the land of never-ending sun should have been here for the past four days. Perpetual rain would be nearer the mark...

It's great to be here, though. I fell in love with Sydney six years ago, and it's still my favourite city. Today I took a day off (from preparing training material for Saturday) and hopped onto one of Sydney's fab double-decker trains. I ended up at Darling harbour ('all those boats, darling') and the Maritime Museum. I clambered over, under and through four ships (wishing I was a foot shorter) which bobbed ever more gamely as the impending gales drew nearer.

The replica of Cook's Endeavor is fascinating. They built in an extra floor to accommodate civilian scientists, with the result that you stoop through a four-foot-high deck reminiscent of the mezzanine floor in 'Being John Malkovich'. I also enjoyed a 19th century 3-masted barque, a naval destroyer and a sub (sadly, not yellow). I expected the sub to be the most cramped - but the Endeavor wins that battle with ease.

And why am I a limey? The title comes from the habit in the 19th century of British sailors being given lime juice to combat scurvey. On the Endeavor, they used sauerkraut for the same purpose. So, which would you rather be named? A limey (green and sharp) or sauerkraut (green and sour). What a sweet choice...

PS
If you're still wondering why one of my Thursdays went missing - see the comments on my previous blog. It's something to do with 80 days' worth of fairy dust!

No comments: