Wednesday 13 June 2007

One of my Thursdays is missing...


Yesterday was my last full day in Vancouver, mostly spent at Granville Island, as shown in the photo (meeting M, the nephew of a family friend).

Today, I jump on a plane to Sydney. I leave on Wednesday afternoon, nip over the date line, and land on Friday morning. But where's Thursday?

My trip lasts for 41 days - from Sun 27th May, to Fri 6th July. But I'm only going to experience 40 days. One of my Thursdays is missing! Has it gone for a picnic? Did it join Wallace & Gromit on the moon? Is it sulking somewhere? Is there an International Thursday Convention this week?

I know I've had the same number of hours, minutes, seconds as everyone else - but there's something solid and satisfying about experiencing a full day. I unaccountably feel cheated...

2 comments:

Helen Fish said...

Have you read 'Round the World in 80 days'? (If not, I've probably just spoiled the plot for you - sorry! But then, I don't suppose you were planning to, anyway.)
Have fun in Oz!

Tim Thornborough said...

Your missing day, together with all the missing days of people who travel round the world widishins* are swept up and stored by the time fairies, who sprikle the magic day dust onto those who travel the other way across the date line. As you see the sun go down from the plane, you may just catch the sparkle as they do their fairy flinging thing... a beautiful and magica sight to behold.

Tim

*that's anti clockwise to any non Pratchett readers out there