Monday 20 August 2007

Brothers and sisters in Christ


I have just had a fantastic time with the students from Johannesburg Bible College (JBC). They start each day of teaching with a morning devotional. What a delight to pray, sing and read the Bible with brothers and sisters in Christ. The fact that I had flown for ten hours to the bottom of Africa to meet them made no difference - we were all part of God's one family. It was very moving to be with them.

Most of the guys in this morning's session are not directly involved in children's work. (I tried to encourage them to do some, of course!) So we looked at ways that they can make a difference to the children in their church. How can they help parents to take up their responsibility for the spiritual education of their children? How can they support and equip children's workers in their crucial role as Bible teachers? And of course we discussed my favourite proposition:

'Teaching the Bible to children is the same as teaching it to adults - but harder!'

They didn't all agree with me (I didn't expect them to) but we had a great discussion, and hopefuly it raised their awareness of the importance of children's work, and encouraged them to see children's leaders as Bible teachers.

On Thursday I'll be spending the morning with the members of the Women's and Children's Work course. After the fab time this morning, I can't wait to be with them! I'm also hoping to meet up with a few individual children's workers while I'm here. I'm hoping that I can be of encouragement to them - but also anticipating that they will have much to say to me that will prompt my thinking, and stimulate my own ideas on teaching the Bible to children. What a joy, that we all share the privilege of teaching God's living Word to children.

No comments: