Friday 20 July 2007

Loss


I lost my 'cello teacher this week. (Sounds a bit careless doesn't it?) Having wanted to play the 'cello since I was 10, I eventually made it 31 years later. An inheritance from my much-loved Granny paid for an instrument and a few lessons. I had no idea it could take so long just to play in TUNE (!) - but two and a half years later, I still love learning.

But now K, my 'cello teacher, is leaving. I heard this week that we only have one more lesson together. In truth, I'm gutted. I've really enjoyed her lessons. But it's more than that. At the time I started, I was really quite ill. I'd had to pull out of most of my church commitments, which meant a plethora of free evenings. Probably for the first time in my adult life, I truly had the time to learn an instrument and practise it each day. My 'cello playing has accompanied my gradual move from sickness to health, and K has been alongside me throughout. So losing her is a bit of a shock. I'm feeling a little bereft.

K isn't my only loss this summer. Just before my trip, I had my last meeting with M, my counsellor. While K was accompanying my painful screechings on the 'cello, M was accompanying an even more painful experience, as I ploughed my way through the horrors of deep depression. My current health is largely a tribute to M's wisdom, skill and kindness. There is much to celebrate in regaining my health, but it was still very difficult to say goodbye.

So, I've lost two significant people in two months - people I have seen weekly for over two years. And it's got me thinking. Relationships matter so much to us - and much more, of course, when they are close family or friends. Loss is a regular part of our lives. But the loss of these two relationships made me think of THE relationship. The loss of two people who have been important in my life, points me back to the ONE who is all-important. In John 6 v 39, Jesus says this: 'This is the will of Him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that He has given me, but raise them up at the last day.'

My wonderful Saviour will never lose me. That perfect relationship is secure for eternity. We experience loss now - and it hurts - but there's no need to fear losing my Lord and Saviour. My hope is Him is certain.

No comments: