Sunday 1 July 2007

More thoughts on why God made trees


I met up with a friend this week, who told me about a book he's been reading - Cat and Dog Theology by Bob Sjogren. I haven't read it yet, but I'd like to. The title is based on an old joke:

A dog says, 'You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, you must be God.' A cat says, 'You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, I must be God.'

My friend mentioned the book, because we'd been discussing my musings on why God made trees. He pointed out that we can tend towards a cat-like view of creation - that it was created for us and our pleasure - rather than a dog-like view - that God created it for Himself, for His pleasure and glory.

Hmm... I was out walking again this afternoon, and pondering this as I walked. Why did God create wonders in the ocean depths, which people will never see? Why did God make the whole of the Great Barrier Reef a stunning jewel of delight, rather than just the bit that the tourists visit? It can't be for us! (Although my realisation a few years ago that the majority of the barrier reef would never be seen by humans, led me to an increased wonder at the lavish creativity of God, simply because I couldn't see it for myself.)

Romans 1 v 20 tells us that 'since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made'. Psalm 19 v 1 says that 'The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands'. Creation points us to God and His glory. That suggests to me that creation is made for God - but also for us. And it's wonderful. I'm so glad we're able to share it.

1 comment:

Tim Thornborough said...

Seems to me that Dog theology and your arboreal investigations gives us another suggestion: perhaps trees were made for Dogs as well as God and us!