Wednesday 11 July 2007

Different... but the same


Well, I'm back. It was a l-o-n-g journey, made perfect by spending 51 minutes waiting at the baggage carousel at Heathrow. (Yes, I am that sad person who times how long she spends at carousels. I'd like to blame it on jetlag, but it wouldn't really be true.) I then spent the weekend mostly comatose, trying to adjust to my fourth shift of time zone in six weeks. The general consensus since reappearing from my cocoon is that I look rested and refreshed. The photo was taken yesterday, so you can decide whether you agree.

Am I glad to be back. Oh Yes! Did it live up to my longings? Not really. Towards the end of my trip, I was longing for home, and especially the peace and space that go with it. But the peaceful, spacious flat I craved turned out to be cramped, cluttered and a bit claustrophobic. Maybe it's because I've been staying in a series of large homes. Maybe distance made the hearth grow bigger (!). Even though it's been great to catch up with family and friends, I have to confess that my homecoming was a bit of a let-down.

BUT it's got me thinking about the perspectives I've gained from my trip. It's easy to get ensnared by the novelty of other countries and the allure of foreign fields. However, one thing I've learned this trip is that many things are different, but actually the same. The country and culture may be different, but 'doing life' is still the same. Ministry may have a different flavour, but essentially it's still the same. The children we work with have different accents (and deeper sun tans!) but we teach them the same Bible and introduce them to the same Lord. And as I wander round creation - Yes, I relish seeing different delights I haven't met before, but they still point me to the same Creator.

I enjoyed an early-morning stroll along a nearby stream. I've never been there at 6.30 am before - definitely a plus-point of jetlag! The birds were in full throat. Less raucous than their Aussie cousins (although I did actually have a small flock of parakeets wheeling overhead!) The walk was great, and gave me a chance to reassess my feelings of disappointment at feeling so crowded and quashed at home. I can never admire creation without looking to the Creator. This time, He reminded me again that my home isn't in Surbiton. It's with Him. And when I finally see Him face to face in the new creation, there's no risk at all of feeling let down. Thank You, Father!

No comments: