Thursday 2 September 2010

The root of anger

I've spent today doing a final proofread and corrections for Tim Chester's book Delighting in the Trinity (available soon from The Good Book Company). Along the way I came across this brilliant quote:
Let’s suppose I have a problem with my temper. Put me under pressure and I blow; I lose it; I fly off the handle. What would you say to me? Count to ten? Bite your tongue? It is good advice, but on its own it will not bring lasting change to my behaviour. We need to think what drives my temper. Maybe I need to feel in control and temper is how I exert control on a situation.

If so, then I need to be reminded that God is sovereign and He rules in love. Or maybe I feel insecure. If someone in my team at work fails, then I worry what others will think of me and so I blow. If so, then I need to be reminded that God in Christ accepts me through His grace. I do not need to justify myself because God has justified me. I do not need to fear others because God is the one I should fear. In both cases I have made an idol of myself. I want to control my world. I want to be in charge. But God is one. There is no place for other gods—especially not one like me!

Tim Chester, Delighting in the Trinity , p. 34-35

No comments: