Sunday 1 August 2010

Purple prose

For three years this blog page has been black - chosen, I thought at the time, for its striking impact. Having just returned to blogging after a long gap, I realised how very... black... it looked. As black as my mood. Black as my thoughts. Black as the daily battle with depression. So...

I've gone PURPLE! :0)

Not that the depression is over - it's not, the battle rages on. But no matter how gloomy things get, the Lord is sovereign still and I can trust in His goodness. And that feels purple to me, not black.

And don't worry, I won't be blogging about depression all the time. Sometimes, yes, since people tell me it helps them understand those of us bonded to the black dog. But also odd musings, thoughts on children's and youth work, and stuff I couldn't help noticing. Starting with…

Three bits of post arrived together this week. A bank I no longer bank with told me details of their new overdraft limits (which I'd never used). A building society I do bank with offered me a loan (which I've never had or wanted). An electricity company told me how much I'd save by using direct debit, but based it on a family of four in a large house, rather than my minimal usage in my solitary flat. My reaction to all three was that these people hadn't bothered to find out anything about me, though they all had the information - so the letters went in the bin. And then I started wondering…

Do we do that with our Christian literature or events? Do we give girly tracts to women who hate shopping? Do we invite a neighbour to hear a Christian sportsman when they prefer gardening? Do we tell a bereaved friend about God's justice, when what they need right now is compassion? I was struck by how angry I was that those three institutions didn't bother to check who I was first. And challenged not to do the same when reaching out with the good news about Christ.

PS Yes, the photo IS deliberate!

No comments: