Friday 4 April 2008

Brushing up on your Bible reading


I once heard a speaker say that reading your Bible every day is like brushing your teeth - you don't always feel like it, but you do it because you know it's good for you. Do you agree? Or does this dismiss Bible reading as mundane and boring?

Should we be bored when we read God's Word? Not at all. This is the Living Word of the Creator God, through which He reveals Himself to us. That's awesome!

Are we sometimes bored, though? Most of us, if we're honest, would have to say Yes. Daily Bible reading is a discipline many of us struggle with. Which is why I find the brushing teeth analogy helpful, because I know it's good for me to do it daily. If you don't brush, your teeth rot. If you don't read your Bible, your spiritual life starts to rot, too.

BUT
I've found the answer to boring battles with the toothbrush. I now have an electric toothbrush which rotates, vibrates and even tells me when my two minutes are up. Brushing my teeth has become FUN!!! :)

So... the question is... what's the Bible-reading equivalent of an electric toothbrush? If we truly believe spending time daily in God's Word is vital, but we struggle to actually do it, are there things that can help? Here are a few I've tried:
1. There's a wide range of Bible-reading notes out there, so I like to try something new occasionally - but do look for something that will help you engage with the Bible text, rather than just share a few thoughts.
2. Reading big chunks at a time. (This is easiest in a lighter translation such as The Message, rather than the ESV!) I prefer to read through whole Bible books anyway, to get the full picture of what that book is saying.
3. Try using children's or family notes. (Yes, I'm serious!) If the notes handle the Bible well, they'll still point you to the main point of the passage, and you'll certainly have fun! When I do this, I like to also use it as a prompt to pray for any children and/or families I know who are using the same material. I do this every year with the Advent Packs we produce at Good Book, and pray for the families in the UK and beyond who are doing the same.
4. If you're up for a challenge, why not commit yourself to reading through the whole Bible in a year? (Are there parts of the Bible you've never read??) In my own experience, the best way to do this is to get others involved too - either a group of you all committing to the same thing, or asking others to check up on you. I once told 400 people in a New Year service that I was going to read the whole Bible that year, and asked them to check I did it. That worked a treat!
5. Read it with someone else, rather than just on your own, and then discuss and pray about what you've read.
6. Instead of an electric toothbrush, how about an electronic Bible? If the fun of reading a passage online, via your PC or on a palm pilot will help you keep doing it, then go for it. You can get lots of electronic Bible helps too, with maps, dictionaries etc.
7. Be honest with God that's you're finding it hard, and ask Him to help. He will.
8. Read it while cleaning your teeth. (OK, I haven't really done that one - I was just checking to see if you'd read to the end of the blog.)

1 comment:

Susie said...

about itBrushing your teeth eh?

My boss makes that kind of comment to Christan parents who tell him that their children don't want to come to church.

I know a few folk who aren't big readers who have found listening to the Bible read to them on their mp3 players really helpful. There is some free "through the bible in a year" podcast on itunes (I'm told) which one of the lads in my youth group used.

I'm currently trying to find an mp3 cd (ESV or NIV) which i can load onto my mp3 player and take the bible with me. I've heard that there is a TNIV version with the passage on a screen at the same time as the words are read to you.

Personally I find reading the bible with pencil in hand helpful to note down things that strike me and to pray over them.