Tuesday 1 March 2011

Kindling an old flame


A two-week holiday - no books - just a Kindle.

Pros
• No heavy books to carry
• No need to guess how many books you'll read while away
• The Kindle sits flat on your lap or props easily (eg: on a fold-down tray on a plane/train) - much easier than trying to get a new book to stay open at your page
• There's a built-in dictionary - fantastic for checking obscure words without losing the thread
• Variable text size is a boon for my aging vision - no need to hunt out my reading glasses!
• For new titles, e-books are cheaper than real books
• The Kindle opens at the page you were last reading
• You can add notes (eg: to highlight a quote that could be the basis of a blog)
• Great battery life (two weeks' reading used about half), and quick to recharge from computer or mains

Cons
• A Kindle isn't that light - about the same as a thick paperback
• I have around a thousand books at home, so don't want to pay again for e-versions
• It's harder to assess an unread book - one was far more violent than I had expected
• Many of the free books available are erotica - difficult to avoid when scrolling lists of popular titles (a problem I've rarely faced when browsing in a bookshop)
• It's unwieldy if juggling two books at once (eg: flicking between a Christian book and the Bible passage it's unpacking)

Conclusion
If I hadn't been collecting books for 30 years, I'd seriously consider a Kindle as a way to build a library that takes no space. But I still love the feel, smell and tangibility of "real" books.

No comments: